These fruit tartlets look so colourful with the different types of fruits on top. They are perfect for small parties but just a little messy to eat as the crispy filo pastry can fall all over the floor!
The filo pastry shells can be made in advance. Fill with the custard and top with fruits just before serving allows the pastry cases to stay crispy and not soggy. Enjoy!
1 Pack of Filo Pastry
For the custard:
5 Egg Yolks
110g Caster Sugar
45g Plain Flour
½ tsp Rose Water
Fresh fruit of your choice eg. Kiwi / Raspberries / Strawberries / Blackberries / Blueberries
A handful of pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5.
- Blend the pistachios until fine.
- Cut the filo pastry into squares around 10cm wide.
- Layer 3 square pieces of filo pastry into a cupcake tray, turning each one slightly, and also lightly brushing each piece with butter.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- For the custard, heat the milk in a saucepan until almost boiling.
- In a bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar, rose water and flour until combined.
- Pour in a third of the milk into the egg mixture whilst constantly mixing.
- Pour in the remaining milk and mix until combined.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and return to the heat.
- Continue mixing constantly and cook for another 3 minutes until the mixture is thick. Take off the heat.
- Pour into a heatproof dish and cover with a piece of greaseproof paper, and allow to cool.
- Transfer the custard into a piping bag and pipe into each pastry case and top with your chosen fruits. To finish, add a sprinkle of pistachio pieces and a dusting of icing sugar.
Recipe altered from SortedFood.com