To start off this blog, here is my most loved recipe.
The pistachio nut has a very different, or should I say – very interesting name in Chinese. In Cantonese, we call it ‘開心果’ which literally means ‘happy fruit’. This is because the gap between the 2 shells covering the nut looks like a smile. Due to my parents telling me the meaning behind the pistachio nut as a child, it has become my favourite nut of all time, and still is right now.
Plus, the colour of most nuts are brown, however the pistachio nut is green, and it is unusual to see green on top of a cookie, making this cookie stand out from the rest. I remember the first time I gave these cookies to my boyfriend to give to my parents, he thought it was herbs! haha
225g / 8oz butter (softened)
140g / 5oz caster sugar
1 egg yolk (lightly beaten)
2 tsp almond extract
225g / 8oz plain flour
55g / 2oz ground almond
55g / 2oz pistachio nuts (finely chopped)
Pinch of salt
- Put the butter and caster sugar into a bowl and mix until well combined, then beat in egg yolk and almond extract, and mix. Sift together the plain flour and the pinch of salt into the mixture, add the ground almonds and mix well until thoroughly combined.
- Flatten the dough and wrap in cling film and place in the fridge for 60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Unwrap the dough and roll out flat between 2 sheets of greaseproof paper to about 3mm thick. Cut out cookies using your desired cookie cutter and place onto the greaseproof paper prepared earlier spaced 1 inch apart. Sprinkle the chopped pistachio nuts onto each cookie and press the nuts into the cookie using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Transfer the cookies from the baking tray to a wire rack using a palette knife to cool.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.
- If you do not like the strong almond taste, you can leave out the almond extract.
- If you have an allergy to almonds, you can swap the 2 tsp of almond extract with 2 tsp of vanilla extract and the 55g / 2oz of ground almond with an extra 55g / 2oz of plain flour.
Recipe altered from 1 Dough, 50 Cookies by Linda Doeser